Help Center | Print Page | Sign In | Register
Collaboration at Scale: Enterprise Retrospectives
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
How can you include stakeholders in retrospectives? 7 J. Schneider Certain Stakeholders that might be beneficial to the process can be invited by the Scum Master, after first discussing with the core team and obtaining their consent. It has to be clear to the stakeholder that their attendance is on an invite-only basis and for specific information or clarification that the team needs.
by P. Erubami
Thursday, October 5, 2017
How will the ScrumMaster ensure that all action points are being addressed? 4 J. Schneider 1. Identify the most important one and track regularly. 2. Show it to team members3. Show part of it to outside stakeholders.
by S. Cai
Friday, May 12, 2017
What to do when there is an activity that no one wants to take? 1 L. Miguel Angel Who come out this action? Is the team to prioritize the action item list ? Does team know the value of taking this action item ? What is the cost of this action ? If team all think this is not a MUST, I don't think it need to be done
by P. Peng
Friday, December 30, 2016
SEU information 2 D. Gentry but what are the email ids you used? I do not see any email id mentioned in the webinar but its needed to add SEUs.
by A. Jain
Tuesday, October 25, 2016
What about a hybrid team? 1 J. Schneider I'm not sure you can manage someone else's complexity, but you can manage your interface to that complexity, much like you can't control another system's source code or technical architecture but you can leverage your interface to that source code or technical architecture via a well-defined API. Apply this technique to both the code and the people and you'll find that you'll make process in managing complexity.
by L. Hohmann
Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Can you describe what curve-jumping is? 1 J. Schneider Curve jumping is a technique where different technologies are assessed by teams relative to a current technology so that you can determine if you should "jump" to the new curve. We've made this a collaborative framework. To try it out, simply click on the image below.     A video explaining the technique can be found here.    
by L. Hohmann
Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Should we bring people from integration teams to participate in our retro? 1 J. Schneider If what integration team does impact or affect your team's deliverable, then yes. As for their interest, if the integration team members see value in participating, one wouldn't have to convince them to attend meetings. In my experience, setting the right context by informing a team members motivates them to attend meetings. Here are some to begin with:1) What do they get by attending the meeting? (architectural changes that could possibly impact his/her own work)2) How his/her participation would help the team? (sharing information that impacts your team's deliverable)3) Why you want him/her in the meeting? (work on both sides would be impacted and potentially product could fail!)
by S. Shaastry
Tuesday, August 16, 2016
Do we see a lot of benefit for doing a retrospective face-to-face? 2 J. Schneider "Do we see a lot of benefit for doing a retrospective face-to-face?" - not in my experience. I have worked with distributed teams as well as co-located teams. Face-to-face or online, the facilitator (Scrum Master) plays an important role in ensuring each team member shares their thoughts and the ensuing discussions are moderated.
by S. Shaastry
Tuesday, August 16, 2016
What software do you use to collect issues from teams? 2 J. Schneider I use spreadsheets to collect issues. Categorize in to headings (technology, process etc.) and use filters to draw action items.Having access to "raw" data upfront gives me control over "how" to visualize it - charts available in spreadsheet do the job.
by S. Shaastry
Tuesday, August 16, 2016
Is it possible to know how to handle technical debt? 1 J. Schneider Simple answer? Yes, it is possible to know how to handle technical debt when you leverage Collaboration at Scale within your teams.  Here is a visual summary of a longer post on this topic. Speed Boat is also a framework that is good for identifying technical debt! 
by L. Hohmann
Thursday, July 21, 2016
Are there any tools to leverage for geographically distributed teams? 1 J. Schneider Conteneo's Weave platform is used by several large, multinational financial service and pharmaceutical companies. We are happy to explore your specific requirements to see if we're a good fit for your needs. 
by L. Hohmann
Thursday, July 21, 2016
Can you please attempt to bridge the gap or relate to manufacturing? 1 J. Schneider Scrum is a framework that is used in many different environments and contexts. One of Conteneo's clients is a large manufacturer of soda, with bottling operations in several countries - and several plants within these companies. They are using Scrum internally in their work. And like software teams, they have a desire to improve their performance through retrospectives. Accordingly, the enterprise retrospective techniques that we explored in our retrospective are directly applicable in these environments.
by L. Hohmann
Thursday, July 21, 2016
How do you fight against the decline of retrospective impacts? 1 J. Schneider I agree that teams can sometimes feel that they've reached the level of improvement afforded by their present system. For example, the Conteneo dev teams often feel that retrospectives don't provide value because they can't really think of important things to improve. When this happens we ask the teams to consider how they could change the system to introduce new perspectives. It is also important to remember that retrospectives aren't just about improvements. Sometimes the best retrospectives are reflections on a Sprint or project successfully completed and a reminder that you're engaging in practices that work. Lastly, while I know Scrum recommends a retrospective every Sprint, sometimes it is OK to skip one. If the team just doesn't have the energy for a retrospective, take them out for a cup of coffee or play Euchre (https://cardgames.io/euchre/)!
by L. Hohmann
Thursday, July 21, 2016
What kind of retro points should we focus on in enterprise retros? 1 J. Schneider As outlined in the webinar, I recommend starting your enterprise retrospective project by talking with your leadership team. What's on their mind? What are some of the business goals that are driving their support of the retrospective? Once you have this information you'll be in a better position to identify high-impact opportunities for improvement. Remember that not all of the data you acquire will be directed at the enterprise. Plenty of data will be associated with individual teams. These should be given to the teams for review and action.
by L. Hohmann
Thursday, July 21, 2016
How do you teach the team to not blame others during the retro? 1 J. Schneider There is an old vaudeville joke in which a tourist is walking down a street in New York City. The tourist stops at the corner of a street and asks a native New Yorker "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?". The New Yorker quickly answers "Practice, Practice, Practice".  Teaching a team not to blame requires patience, practice, trust, transparency, integrity - and a whole host of other values and skills that Agilists value. My recommendation is to keep practicing - when you find a team that is blaming, bring it to their attention with tact and then work to find a solution. This is an especially important job of Scrum Masters when there are lots of (distributed) teams.
by L. Hohmann
Thursday, July 21, 2016
What is that tool where this speed boat retro was made? 1 J. Schneider The Speed Boat retrospective is one of the pre-built frameworks in the Conteneo Weave platform. The Speed Boat framework is public - anyone can use it. The results of a actually using the framework with your team are private - only you and others you designate have access to the results. I've been using the following Sail Boat variation of Speed Boat:   This version has built in areas to capture feedback on Tools, Processes and Other. You can give it a try here. If you're prefer a Speed Boat, you can try this version:  
by L. Hohmann
Thursday, July 21, 2016
Are the product owner or ScrumMaster responsible for organizing ...? 0 J. Schneider Are the product owner or ScrumMaster responsible for organizing the integration teams to collect retrospective?
by J. Schneider
Friday, July 15, 2016
How do you define organizational limits? 0 J. Schneider How do you define organizational limits?
by J. Schneider
Friday, July 15, 2016

AgileCareers is dedicated to connecting Scrum and Agile organizations with qualified, passionate Agile professionals. We strive to Transform the World of Work by offering a platform that has the resources and technology to help build those professional synergies.